Thursday, May 7, 2009

Confusion

I've been reading BabyWise, trying to figure out how to get Joshua onto a schedule. The book makes it sound so easy, all you have to do is feed the baby, have an awake time and then put them down for a nap and then repeat the cycle. However, Joshua doesn't seem to think this is a good way to schedule his day. If I lay him down awake, he either lays there awake and looking around or he cries nonstop. Also, it's kind of fun to have him sleeping in my arms, is that never supposed to happen?

To make matters more confusing, we received another baby book that says BabyWise is not really a good way to go, and that you shouldn't even attempt to schedule an infant's day until they are 2 months old because they are incapable of controlling their cries or calming themselves do
wn enough to sleep on their own if they are crying.

Ugh, why can't everyone agree on a good way to do this baby thing so we new parents don't feel so confused. However, he sleeps good at night, except to eat, and he's usually pretty happy most of the day and takes a long nap in the early afternoon. So should I even bother? Maybe I should
just go with the flow and try to enjoy the days with him.

Here's a picture of him sleeping in my arms, it's just so precious, so I don't think I could give that up.

We had a photo shoot yesterday with my friends Mindy and Ben. They are awesome photographers, and I can't wait to get the pictures back. Of course, it threw Joshua off his schedule and we had quite a time getting him to stop crying. But I finally did get him to sleep and actually into a basket for some pictures outside. I honestly didn't think that was going to happen, but Ben and Mindy were wonderfully patient. I suppose having three kids of their own helps. Mindy's coming back tomorrow to try to get some more pictures of him when he's not crying uncontrollably. Hopefully it goes well! But I guess with a newborn you have to be flexible. :)

2 comments:

  1. Valerie, IGNORE the books!!! Babies will do whatever they feel like until they can comprehend what you're trying to tell them. And it takes even longer before they start learning right from wrong. Be patient, it will all be fine. I didn't make Naomi's schedule for her, she grew into it, and she is a very well behaved 2-year-old.
    --Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey! i have a naomi too!

    i read and liked baby wise and it worked for us. and there is something to be said about a baby sleeping in bed instead of your arms because it lets you sleep/shower/cook/clean/exercise/read, etc.

    but in these early days, nothing is more amazing than watching your sleeping baby in your arms.

    it is confusing, and i have a lot of parents ask me in the office what to do. i tell them that how you schedule your day is more about what feels good/right for you than it is about what is right/wrong for the baby. if you enjoy your days and enjoy snuggling him and have the time/energy to do it, do it. if you feel like you need more time to yourself and want to put him in the crib to sleep, do that.

    the main thing that i would encourage is trying to have your baby able to entertain himself. so don't feel the need to hold him all the time, because while cute now, in six months, you'll be dying to be able to get stuff done without having to entertain him constantly.

    trust your gut. you're smart. paul's smart. you love your kid. you'll know what to do.

    p.s. hope you were looking for advice. if not, disregard above. :)

    ReplyDelete